Plank || Phalakasana
PHALAKASABA || a plank, board
Primary Purpose of Plank || Strengthens the shoulder griddle and core. It also builds heat in the body.
Benefits of Plank Pose
- legs (quadriceps, hamstrings)
- buttocks (gluteus maximus)
- back (erector spine)
- abdomen (rectus abdominus, obliques)
- chest (pectoralis)
- shoulders (deltoids)
- arms (triceps)
- develops focus
Proceed With Care
- if you are pregnant keep your knees on the ground
- if you have a weak torso or limbs, keep your knees on the ground
- if you have uncontrolled high blood pressure
- recent or chronic wrist, arm, shoulder, back/abdomen injury, inflammation or pain
- carpal tunnel syndrome
Common Misalignments To Look Out For
- the back sagging and shoulders collapsed
- an in-betweener – half plank half downward dog
- pressing into your finger pads
- lifting shoulders and doming the upper back
- stacking shoulders over wrists
- drawing the navel into spine
- lengthening though the tailbone
- stacking heals on top of toes
- knees to earth for support
Explore With Me!
Plank is such a dynamic pose. In this video, after a short warm up I demonstrate plank pose, talk about two common misalignments I see in my classes, how to avoid them, and get into fun plank pose variations. Join me!
Over to you. Did you learn something new? Have an ah ha moment? So many plank variations, do you have a favorite? Share yours with me!