Four Limb Staff || Chaturanga Dandasana
Chatur || four anga || limb Danda || staff
Primary Purpose of Four Limb Staff Pose || Strengthens the shoulder girdle and core, and builds heat in the body.
Benefits of Chaturanga Dandasana
- legs (quadriceps, hamstrings)
- buttocks (gluteus maximus)
- back (erector spine)
- abdomen (rectus abdominus, obliques)
- chest (pectoralis)
- shoulders (deltoids)
- arms (triceps)
- develops focus
- the body
- builds core strength
Proceed With Care
- if you are pregnant keep your knees on the ground
- if you have a weak torso or limbs, keep your knees on the ground
- if you have uncontrolled high blood pressure
- recent or chronic wrist, arm, shoulder, back/abdomen injury, inflammation or pain
- carpal tunnel syndrome
Common Misalignments To Look Out For
- sagging in the shoulder girdle
- lower back and sit bones sagging to the ground
- knees to earth for support (until you build strength in the upper body to pause with hands at a 90 degree angle)
- draw your navel in and up toward the spine (engaging the core/lifting up)
Learn With Me!
The yogi push up is a foundational yoga pose that builds strength in the upper body as well as the core – preparing students for arm balances and advanced inversions. Learn all about this staple pose including what to look out for and how to course correct to avoid injury and continue to build a solid foundation.
OVER TO YOU!
I have to admit that after filming this class I was sore the next day! This pose is hard core and due to it’s frequency in a yoga class it’s that much more important to make sure you are in alignment. Support yourself and your practice with mindful movement. Tell me how did it go?